01 April 2012

Sanchez Turns ‘Sensational,’ Joins ‘Idol’ Top 8


Jessica Sanchez never fails to impress whenever she sings ballads.
This proved true as the Filipino-Mexican "American Idol" contestant performed a hit Beyoncé song during the show’s Personal Icons night, March 28 (March 29, Manila time). The Top 9 had Fleetwood Mac’s Stevie Nicks as guest mentor.
The 16-year-old season 11 contender from San Diego, California continues her winning streak as she is now part of the Top 8 with Phillip Phillips, Elise Testone, Colton Dixon, Joshua Ledet, DeAndre Brackensick, Skylar Laine and Hollie Cavanagh. "Idol’s" jokester Heejun Han failed to get the judges’ "Save" and was stripped off the show during the elimination night, March 29.
Performing on "Idol" stage amid snow, fog and red doors, Sanchez belted out a slow version of "Sweet Dreams" by the popular R&B singer and former Destiny’s Child member. "As a kid I used to try and do her moves, but I don’t anymore because I know I can’t do them," Sanchez said of her idol Beyoncé.

As if heeding the AI judges Steven Tyler, Jennifer Lopez and Randy Jackson’s advice of sticking to ballads, the young singer’s performance was well-received.
"If I was Beyoncé and I was home listening, I’d be like, ‘I gotta do that in my next concert, slow that down. It was really, really a beautiful rendition, really gorgeous and you did a good job on it," said Lopez.
She added, "You know, there was a part where everyone thought you were going to sing on forever, that’s what good performers do – they leave you wanting more."
The ever brief-spoken Tyler said, "Great performance. Beautiful dress. I think you are a star no matter what."
The Aerosmith rocker even described Sanchez’s performance "delicious and beautiful."
Jackson, on the other hand, dubbed Sanchez "sensational."
"I say it all the time. I don’t know if people believe me or not but stars are truly born. The maturity that you have as a singer at this age… you just innately have this unbelievable talent," he said, adding "I look forward to hearing you every night. I think you’re one of the best singers I’ve heard in many years. You told a story in a beautiful way. Unbelievable. Sensational."
Apart from her cover of "Sweet Dreams," Sanchez also performed with Hollie Cavanagh and Skylar Laine doing a Madonna medley.
This season’s "Idol" will be determined on its finale come May 23 and many are betting on Sanchez to break the men’s four-year winning streak on the show. Season 6’s Jordin Sparks was the female winner.
"I hope that a female wins this year. If not me, then one of the other girls. But everybody here has been amazing so I really don’t know," Sanchez said in an interview with ABS-CBN News’ North American Bureau.
"I’ve learned so much from the judges, from the other contestants, from this whole experience. It just brought a lot more confidence out of me, more of a performer. I love everybody here so much and they’ve taught me so much. I don’t ever wanna leave," she added.
The same report also said that judge Jackson has picked Sanchez and Colton Dixon from Nashville as his final two who will vie for the "Idol" crown.
By JECELYN V. MACAHINDOG
MB.COM.PH

Read more...

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Greenery' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP