18 October 2011

Albert Martinez discloses new info on wife's battle against cancer


Seasoned actor Albert Martinez has revealed a dreadful “setback” that his wife Liezl Martinez experienced in her battle with the Big C.
“Akala namin okay na [pero] nag-recur yung Big C and again gumuho nanaman ‘yung mundo ko,” said a somber Albert on “The Buzz,” Oct. 16.
Recall that Liezel was diagnosed with breast cancer in August 2008. Some 11 months later, Albert himself confirmed his wife to be cancer-free and on the way to full recovery from the disease.
“Kasi the past two years akala ko okay na, we’re having plans again. Then all of a sudden nangyari uli ‘yun, Parang nagstop lahat,” he shared.
“It’s harder this second time around to put the pieces together. Kasi parang ito na ba ‘yun? Parang is there any hope?
“So I was hoping against hope and praying 10 times harder than the first time. And hoping that whatever we’re doing right now will lead to a full recovery. Not only the situation but also emotionally,” he added.
Personal battle
For years, Albert has been quite elusive to the media, especially when Liezl was diagnosed with the disease. But finally, Albert shared what life was like for him when he learned about his wife’s condition right on the heels of the diagnosis of his mother’s throat cancer.
“That’s the lowest point in my life,” he started.
“Sabi ko when I found out about my Mom, sabi ko parang, ‘How do I deal with this?’ And of course I really have to be strong for my family especially for my brothers and my sisters. And so while we were recovering emotionally with what happened to my Mom, then one month after, siguro para akong binagsakan ng atomic bomb, wife ko naman [ang may cancer],” he recounted.
Admitting that he almost didn’t know what to do, he related, “Parang sabi ko, ‘Why now? Why me? Why my family?’ And I wasn’t prepared for it. Kasi ‘yung planning ko, everybody happy, everybody’s ok. I wasn’t prepared na one day, this would happen.  And during the point that it happened, I was totally devastated,” he admitted.
Despite the harrowing challenges that his family faced, Albert shared that he didn’t question God about it.
“No. [There’s] just a reason for everything,” said he.
However, that doesn’t mean that he took the incidents lightly.
“It’s just that...ang hindi ko lang maintindihan is why both of them. And syempre iba kapag ‘yung mahal mo sa buhay ‘yung tinatamaan. Kung ikaw lang ok lang eh, pero kapag mahal mo na sa buhay parang hindi ko siya naisip eh.
“Sabi ko, ‘Of all people na magkakasakit ng ganon, hindi sila.’ But I really have to be strong, I have to [pull] myself together and decide on things to do. And as much as possible, not to show my Mom or Liezl  kung ano ‘yung moments ko alone,” he intimated.
Regardless of his strong façade, he admitted to having moments of weakness.
“Up to now, to be honest with you, I still have moments alone. Up to now ‘’yung moments alone na yan I still cry,” the “Nasan ka Elisa?” star revealed.
In the end, the award-winning actor gave an assuring message to his wife, saying that she is not alone in her battle.
“We’re gonna fight it together. Its gonna be a group thing. You’re not alone. I’ll always be here and I’ll make sure that whatever is available out there in the market that can help you, we will do that because you’re more important than anything in the world. I love you,” Albert said.

By MAUREEN MARIE BELMONTE
Manila Bulletin

Read more...

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Greenery' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP